Sunday, March 30, 2008

You know you are old when...

So we are at the wedding this weekend. The bride and groom are under 30 years old. As the DJ begins, Shaun and I recognize most of the music. We were getting into some of it. Then the a remake of one of my favorite old songs comes on. Shaun and I had never heard the remake before and it began quite similarly to the old one, so we are enjoying ourselves and feeling pretty hip...I start remembering the song and the time period that goes with it. I remember living with Yvette in the dorms at Southwest Texas State, (not Texas State), working at the Shoe Box, driving my old gold Mercury Lynx...that is until the chorus. Oh my god, I am old. Can I say it??? It is awful. I know I am old when I think a song is too loud and too "heavy metal." Shaun and I then began making faces with all the other "older people" there that the song was so bad. Here are the links (I hope they work) to see what I am talking about. The first link should take you back to a good place. Let me know your thoughts on the second one.



george michael faith video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesXjkDLImg





limp bizkit faith video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLaYpJavKvA


Okay so I have decided, this is the deal. If you like the first one best, you blog (or visit blogs), if you like the second one best, you have a myspace page...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah. to be young. and deaf. and thrashing about.

every generation has its groove. this one just needs to keep its grubby little paws off of our music. it's not like our people did remakes of the big bopper. c'mon.

Yvette said...

Well..., I must admit the second guy is cuter than the first... all was going well on the second until he started having some kind of spasm.. I must say I choose the first version. Especially because I can remember us sitting around in your room listening to it! Love ya!

Honorary Indian said...

OK, Brene and Yvette made me laugh out loud. Something I haven't done in a long time. Thanks, girls.

Eek. That is the word that came to mind when I listened to the remake. EEK!

And, yes, we're old. Old enough to appreciate the good ole' music of the 80s.

Nothing like George Michael. Can't hardly sit still when I hear him sing my all-time fave--"Freedom."

fictionmama said...

Honey, if you like the first version, you're not even blogging. Most bloggers are 10, that's TEN, TEN years younger than us...and they started blogging almost 10 years ago when they got out of COLLEGE.

I know, depressing.

I always like Freedom more anyway. At least they had the good sense not to remake Wake Me Up, Before You Go, Go...

NInesta said...

Dawn...you know you're old when one of the american idol contestents sings a song that you remember from high school...and when you ask what the "theme" is for the week you are told that it's "songs from the year they were born." Now that hurt my feelings!

NInesta said...

and yes...i meant contestant...not contestent...i'm still half asleep this morning. miss you. i'll try to call this weekend with an update. :)