Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Bad Mommy


She looks like a great mom. You might think she is a great mom, but she is flawed. And the flaws are big. I try to be even tempered but sometimes having a child brings out the worst in you. Jackson is completely overwhelming me; his needs are constant. He never stops talking, the whining can be painful and yet he is turning into this fun boy whom I love to spend time with.
So to be honest, yesterday and today I was a bad mom. Yesterday I said, "I am not going to yell at you but you have got to calm down and stop crying." Yes, in hindsight, I said this while yelling. He was upset and crying because Harrison was home throwing up and his dad had stayed home too. He could not understand why he and I had to go to school, but they got to stay home.
Mornings at our house are so stressful. Getting four people dressed and out of the house by 7am is impossible. I might as well be trying to end the war in Iraq. I mean, no matter how much planning I do the night before and how early I get up, those last 15 minutes before we leave are chaos. Then this morning, while driving and drinking cold coffee, I threatened to break his CD in half if I had to listen to Eddie Rabbit sing, "I love a Rainy Night" one more time. Nice huh? Who is the three year old - me or him? Maybe he is learning his temper tantrums from me - might be something I need to think about. Hum. Do you think one brief, bad mom moment a day is okay? If he has a short attention span, maybe he has a short memory too? Wishful thinking.
Please tell me this is normal... Do you remember life before kids and smile? Does anyone else remember a morning where you had hot coffee and read the newspaper with no background noise? Or I can remember spending the whole day in my PJs while watching an entire day of "The Real World" marathon on MTV. You know, the good "Real World" - the one in NY or the one with Puck. Wow, I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about those moments. What are some of your "good Ol' day memories?"
I feel compelled to say that I love my kids. Why is it that whenever we talk honestly we feel like we have to remind people that we really do love our kids? Shouldn't everyone already know that? Does speaking honestly really jeopardize an entire relationship?


On another note, I waited tables at Pappasito's on I-10 many, many years ago with a dear friend, Brene. She has gone on and really made something of herself. I thought she was pretty great 15 years ago (wish I had some old, dated picture to upload of us) - but now she is a rock star. You know, one of those friends that makes you feel like a better person. Check out her blog. Add it to your favorites. http://ordinarycourage.squarespace.com/ Her honesty and friendship bring me joy - I hope they bring you joy too!

4 comments:

Melody A. said...

Dawn, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! I have been home with the girls, both sick in some way. And all I keep thinking is, "When can someone else take care of them?" They are both great girls, well behave most of the time. But it's those few trying moments that make me wanna leave them at home alone and go get a coffee just so that I can say to them, "I'm leaving!!!!" Now, if that's not a bad mommy...

Honorary Indian said...

Ok, I laughed OUT LOUD at the Real World with Puck comment...omygosh...it was my fave season of all. I mean, I BELLY-LAUGHED!

You, of all people, know that I can relate to you and what you're feeling. And, YES! You are allowed 1 (or 10 or 100) bad mommy moments a day.

So, when you're feeling bad about that...look at your beautiful boys...and see how wonderfully they're turning out. And, you won't feel so horrible about those bad mommy moments.

Thank goodness our kids thrive and grow and flourish and blossom in spite of those bad mommy moments.

And thank goodness for the miracle that this occurs. Besides, I think it builds character in the child to see that things are not always rosy and perfect.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

xo.

BB said...

you are always perfectly imperfect for me.

fictionmama said...

How's this for bad mama? I WATCH marathons all day while I'm with my kids. Except now it's Real Housewives of Orange County. Someday soon I'm going to have to stop when the kids realize that background noise comes with a pretty moving picture.