Saturday, July 28, 2007

The surprises of Motherhood



I wrote this about two weeks ago and never got a chance to upload it - so here is some "old news."


We had more drama yesterday. Another trip to the ER. I took the boys to HEB and we were shopping, using one of the longer carts that lets a toddler sit in the back (the part closest to the driver) and the I put the baby on the railing part in front (where you normally place your purse). As I turned a corner, the baby fell off. Luckily he was strapped into his bucket seat, so I don't believe his head hit the floor. People around us were very helpful and another mom said that she thought Harrison was just scared as he stopped crying so quickly. I took him to the doctor and to the ER for a head CT just to be sure. All checked out just fine. He has a small scratch on his head, no bruise, no swelling, no "goose egg," so I really think he hit a box of Matzo ball soup on the way down. We happened to be in the Kosher section and I later found a box of Matzo ball soup in my cart that I never put in there.


I think this story has a few morals. 1. Don't take two boys to HEB. 2. Make sure the bucket "clicks" into the HEB cart. 3. Keep the seat belt on the baby. 4. Have husband do the shopping. 5. Order out!


Jackson continues to keep me quite busy. The little guy really never stops talking. I mean never. He is constantly busy. Like today when I tried to get him dressed he said he wanted to wait. Then he met me later, in my bathroom with his clothes. As we began the process he ran out to get a stool because he wanted to stand on that while I put his pants on him. Then when it was time for his shirt, he ran out again and this time came in, dragging his Elmo chair to sit on (of course, hitting the bassinet and waking the baby on his way in). Whew! If that wasn't enough, when we tried to make Mac n Cheese together, I left for one minute (to get the other child) and came back in to find him eating all of the cheese from the packet. So, once I made the lunch, he took one bite and said he didn't want to eat it because it didn't have enough cheese! Oh really Einstein, that's because you already ate most of it! And we really had no other food in the house because after the incident at HEB I just left my cart in one of the isles, with all of our food in it, so that I could go to the car and cry.


When you are younger and you think of motherhood you never imagine these moments. (I tended to think of motherhood as a Baby Gap advertisement or a Johnson & Johnson commercial.)You don't know about the trips to the ER, the exhausting clothing changes, how much you miss silence, the painful nursing in a Starbucks parking lot, or poop "blow-outs" that can cover almost an entire infant. But motherhood is these moments and so much more.

1 comment:

Honorary Indian said...

Dawn, I have been there. Priya fell out of a grocery card TWICE...all 3 have had more blow-outs than I can count, and Jackson's getting dressed story sounds all too familiar. SO glad you shared to help me realize I'm not alone. But, cherish every minute...pretty soon your oldest will be going to KINDERGARTEN.